January 13, 2022
2 mins read

UN Security Council takes up matter of hijacked UAE ship

The UAE has formally complained to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Monday about the hijacking of the UAE-flagged vessel by Yemen’s Houthi rebels…reports Asian Lite News

India took part in the discussion on the hijacked UAE vessel ‘Rawabi’ in the UN Security Council on Wednesday and called for the immediate release of its crew members, which include seven Indians.

India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador T.S. Tirumurti expressed grave concern over the seizure of the UAE vessel and expressed deep concern about the safety and well-being of its crew members, including 7 Indian nationals.

The UAE has formally complained to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Monday about the hijacking of the UAE-flagged vessel by Yemen’s Houthi rebels.


In her letter to the UN, the UAE’s Ambassador to the UN, Lana Nusseibeh said that this act of piracy is contrary to fundamental provisions of international law and it also poses a serious threat to the freedom and safety of navigation as well as international trade in the Red Sea, and to regional security and stability.

Rawabi is a civilian cargo vessel, leased by a Saudi Arabian firm and was carrying equipment for a field hospital when hijacked earlier this month. It was transiting an international route, and had crew members from India, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Myanmar, and the Philippines.

Houthis capture UAE vessel off Yemen

Emphasising that India has been closely monitoring developments following the seizure of the ship, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had said that all Indian crew members are safe and New Delhi is making all efforts to secure their early release.

ALSO READ: MEDIA SCAN: India works on ship hijack and opposition slams Pakistan govt over taxes

“We are in touch with the company operating the ship and have been informed that out of the 11 crew members onboard the ship, seven are from India,” MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said on Tuesday in a statement.

“Government of India has been closely monitoring developments following the seizure of the UAE flagged ship Rwabee off the port of Hodeidah (Yemen) by the Houthis on January 2,” he added.

Bagchi also emphasised that “we also understand from the company and other sources that all Indian crew members are safe.” “Government of India is making all efforts to secure their early release,” he added.

Stressing that India urges the Houthis to ensure the safety and well-being of the crew members and release them immediately, Bagchi also said that New Delhi is concerned at the recent intensification of fighting in Yemen and hopes that all parties will come to the negotiating table to find a peaceful resolution to the Yemen issue.

Previous Story

India, US review security cooperation in key sectors

Next Story

US CDC predicts over 62k Covid deaths in 4 weeks

Latest from -Top News

MIND Diet Shows Short-Term Gains for Cognition

The study enrolled 604 participants who were overweight, had a suboptimal diet, and a family history of Alzheimer’s disease The MIND diet, known for its emphasis on brain-healthy foods like whole grains,

Indian-American Takes Office as Head of NIH

Born in Kolkata, India, Dr. Bhattacharya earned both his BA and MA degrees in economics from Stanford University, followed by a doctorate in medicine and a PhD in economics from the same
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UAE tops WEF’s tourism development index

UAE raised its score by 4.4 percent in the 2024

Guterres sworn in for second term as UN chief

Antonio Guterres ran unopposed because none of the self-nominated candidates