June 24, 2022
1 min read

Boris steps back from row with Prince Charles over Rwanda  

“A lot of people can see its obvious merits. So yeah, of course, if I am seeing the prince tomorrow, of course I am going to make that point,” Johnson told reporters in Kigali…reports Asian Lite News

Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved away from a confrontation with Prince Charles over the government’s immigration deal with Rwanda after his spokesman said the matter would not likely be raised in talks with the heir to the throne.

Under an agreement struck between London and Kigali, Britain will send tens of thousands of migrants who arrive on its shores illegally more than 4,000 miles (6,4000 km) to the East African country.

British newspapers have reported that Charles had privately criticised the plans, which have also drawn an outcry from political opponents and human rights groups, while the first planned deportation flight was blocked by an injunction from the European Court of Human Rights.

Earlier on Thursday Johnson, who like Charles is attending a Commonwealth leaders’ summit in Rwanda, had said he would raise the issue with the prince, saying “critics need to keep an open mind about the policy”.

“A lot of people can see its obvious merits. So yeah, of course, if I am seeing the prince tomorrow, of course I am going to make that point,” Johnson told reporters in Kigali.

Asked if he would he defend it if Charles were to raise it, Johnson said: “Yes, it hasn’t come up so far, of course.”

However, his spokesman later said Johnson was unlikely to raise the matter.

“It is not something that the prime minister is focused on at the start of this summit,” he said.

According to the media reports, Charles said he was more than disappointed at the government’s Rwandan plan, which he described as “appalling”.

His office Clarence House has previously said it would make no comment on the “supposed anonymous private conversations”, merely stating the prince remained politically neutral and that policy matters were for the government.

It likewise declined comment on Johnson’s remarks.

ALSO READ-Boris hails India-UK FTA as ‘biggest of them all’

Previous Story

Ukraine, Moldova granted EU candidate status

Next Story

‘Afghanistan continues to serve as safe haven for JeM, LeT’

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Council of Europe slams UK asylum pact with Rwanda

In 2022, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which

NATO declares China as a ‘systemic challenge’

“Putin is bright, he is tough and I have found