March 27, 2023
2 mins read

Biden approves disaster declaration for Mississippi  

The White House said that John Boyle of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has been appointed to coordinate the federal response to the affected areas…reports Asian Lite News

President Joe Biden on Sunday approved a disaster declaration for four counties in Mississippi ravaged by tornadoes as the death toll rose to 26.

The White House said in a statement that the disaster declaration would make funds available for the counties of Carroll, Humphreys, Monroe and Sharkey.

“Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster,” the statement reads.

The White House added that John Boyle of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has been appointed to coordinate the federal response to the affected areas.

“Jill and I are praying for those who have lost loved ones in the devastating tornadoes in Mississippi and for those whose loved ones are missing,” Biden said in an additional statement.

“The images from across Mississippi are heartbreaking. While we are still assessing the full extent of the damage, we know that many of our fellow Americans are not only grieving for family and friends, they’ve lost their homes and businesses.”

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves, a Republican, thanked Biden on Twitter for “recognizing the scale of the damage in Mississippi and approving our disaster declaration.”

A massive storm ripped through several small town on an hourlong path of destruction Friday night that left at least 25 people dead in Mississippi, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency said in a statement Saturday.

A man also died in Alabama after he was trapped in his mobile home during the storm, bringing the confirmed death toll from the storm to 26.

“Dozens more are injured. Four people reported missing have been found,” the MSEMA said in a statement.

The tornado has received a preliminary EF-4 rating from the National Weather Service, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency said in a tweet.

A tornado with an EF-4 rating can have three second wind gusts between 166 and 200 mph.

Mississippi may see further severe storms through Sunday night, the MSEMA said in a statement.

“Expect damaging wind gusts,” the agency warned. “Tornadoes cannot be ruled out.”

ALSO READ: US stands with women in Iran, Afghanistan, says Biden

Previous Story

US House moving forward with bill to block TikTok

Next Story

Harris to meet Ghana’s president as she begins Africa trip

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Kushner distances himself from Jan 6 violence

Kushner wrote that he was flying back to Washington, D.C.,

Haley accuses Pompeo of ‘lies and gossip to sell book’

Haley resigned from the Trump administration in October 2018…reports Asian