January 19, 2023
1 min read

Brazil’s Lula fires 13 more from his security team

A notice in the official gazette said the 13 troops were dismissed from the institutional security office attached to the presidency…reports Asian Lite News

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Wednesday dismissed 13 more military officers who were assigned to the National Security Advisor’s office that is responsible for the president’s security, reported France24.

A notice in the official gazette said the 13 troops were dismissed from the institutional security office attached to the presidency. The decision follows the removal of 40 military officers on Tuesday from the Alvorada presidential residence, as Lula expressed his distrust in the military for failing to act against supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro who stormed government buildings on January 8.

Just days after the attack on the presidential palace, Supreme Court and Congress by backers of far-right ex-president Bolsonaro, Lula said the rioters likely had inside help and hinted at security force involvement.

He ordered a thorough staffing review, saying he was “convinced that the door of the Planalto (presidential) palace was opened for people to enter because there are no broken doors.”

The demonstrators were protesting Bolsonaro’s loss in the October elections and calling for a military coup to oust Lula and restore the far-right populist leader.

Leftist Lula, 77, beat Bolsonaro by a razor-thin margin in October elections that followed a vitriolic and divisive campaign.

Some 1,400 alleged rioters remained in custody as investigators track down the masterminds and financiers of the January 8 revolt.

So far, 39 people have been officially charged.

Anderson Torres, a former Bolsonaro justice minister who was in charge of Brasilia security but abroad when the riots happened, has been arrested on suspicion of collusion.

Like his former boss, Torres has denied any link to the revolt. He appeared before investigators for a first deposition on Wednesday, and opted to remain silent according to the G1 news portal.

The violence recalled the January 6, 2021 assault on the US Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump. (ANI)

ALSO READ: ‘Solution to ease burden of Canada’s hospitals lies in ayurveda’

Previous Story

Aruna Miller swears-in as Maryland Lieutenant Governor

Next Story

4 Pak soldiers killed in attack from ‘Iranian soil’

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Portugal joins Brazil, France into knockouts stage of World Cup

Portugal continued to dominate possession but could not create a

Brazil’s Lula stresses Russia-Ukraine direct talks

Lula arrived in Lisbon on Friday on his first visit