February 8, 2023
2 mins read

China has more ICBM launchers than US

The reports comes at a time when tensions between the two global powers increased over a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon the US military shot down over the Atlantic Ocean last week…reports Asian Lite News

China has more land-based fixed and mobile intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launchers than the United States, a top American army officer notified lawmakers in January.

A letter sent to Congress by General Anthony Cotton, commander of US Strategic Command, says that as of October 2022 China’s inventory of land-based fixed and mobile ICBM launchers “exceeds the number of ICBM launchers in the United States”, CNN reported.

The letter has, however, said that China does not have more ICBMs or nuclear warheads than the US. According to Pentagon (US Department of Defence), the US has more than 5,000 nuclear warheads, while China recently surpassed 400.

The letter comes at a time when a debate is happening among security experts and politicians in the US about the response to the Chinese balloon that appeared over Montana, where a part of its military’s ICBM is deployed.

A joint statement released on Tuesday by Republican leaders of Congress’ Armed Services committees called the letter “a wake-up call for the United States.”

“It is not an understatement to say that the Chinese nuclear modernization program is advancing faster than most believed possible. We have no time to waste in adjusting our nuclear force posture to deter both Russia and China. This will have to mean higher numbers and new capabilities,” the statement said.

The details of the letter were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

The reports comes at a time when tensions between the two global powers increased over a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon the US military shot down over the Atlantic Ocean last week.

The discovery of the balloon set off a diplomatic crisis, with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken immediately calling off a weekend trip to China — which would be the first such high level US-China meeting there in years — over the “irresponsible act”.

On Tuesday, US officials said the Pentagon sought to arrange a phone call between Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin and his Chinese counterpart after the balloon was shot down, but was rebuffed by Beijing, reports the BBC.

Meanwhile, China is making massive efforts to modernise its military and increase its nuclear capabilities.

ALSO READ: US will act if threatened, Biden warns China

Previous Story

China rejects Washington’s request for phone call with Defence Secy

Next Story

WHO warns of massive impact from Turkey-Syria earthquake

Latest from -Top News

MIND Diet Shows Short-Term Gains for Cognition

The study enrolled 604 participants who were overweight, had a suboptimal diet, and a family history of Alzheimer’s disease The MIND diet, known for its emphasis on brain-healthy foods like whole grains,

Indian-American Takes Office as Head of NIH

Born in Kolkata, India, Dr. Bhattacharya earned both his BA and MA degrees in economics from Stanford University, followed by a doctorate in medicine and a PhD in economics from the same
Go toTop

Don't Miss

China is building new nuclear missile silos, satellite images reveal

Considering other missile silos that are being constructed by China,

Indian-American Arizona state rep announces run for Congress

Shah, a Democrat, has been representing districts in the Phoenix