August 27, 2023
1 min read

Iranian Photojournalist Freed After Taliban Detention

Taliban forces arrested Velayati at the end of his 10-day personal trip to Afghanistan on August 19 without any explanation…reports Asian Lite News

Iranian photojournalist Mohammad-Hossein Velayati, who was detained last week in Afghanistan, has been released, Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, which Velayati works for, reported.

The journalist was handed over to the Iranian embassy in Kabul on Friday night, the report said on Saturday, adding that the release was confirmed by Bilal Karimi, a spokesman of the Taliban administration, but the reporter has yet to be transferred to Iran.

Tasnim on Tuesday reported that “Taliban forces” arrested Velayati at the end of his 10-day personal trip to Afghanistan on August 19 without any explanation, as he was returning to Iran, stressing that he had entered Afghanistan legally through the air border, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a post on X, previously known as Twitter, Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Friday night that intensive diplomatic efforts were being made to return Velayati to Iran. 

ALSO READ: India, Iran Give Renewed Push To New Trade Routes

Previous Story

Indian-Origin CEOs impress Musk

Next Story

Putin orders Wagner fighters to sign oath of allegiance

Latest from -Top News

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

8 Iran-sponsored schools closed in Quetta

It is said that the schools were unauthorized and were

Taliban ban on female Afghan UN staff draws criticism

UN Women joined UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in calling on