February 4, 2023
1 min read

Musk not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet

The plaintiffs have argued that Elon Musk’s tweets about taking Tesla private, in which he said he had “funding secured”, led them to lose millions of dollars.

A court in the US has cleared Elon Musk in a class-action securities fraud over his tweets about taking Tesla private.

The jurors deliberated for about two hours before reaching the verdict, called a “disappointed” one by Nicholas Porritt, partner at Levi & Korsinsky, the firm representing the Tesla shareholders in the class action, reports CNBC.

Musk tweeted that he is “deeply appreciative of the jury’s unanimous finding”.

His lead counsel Alex Spiro argued before the jury on Friday, saying “fraud cannot be built on the back of a consideration”.

The controversial 2018 tweets by Musk on taking Tesla private has come back to haunt him and he stands to lose billions.

The plaintiffs have argued that Musk’s tweets about taking Tesla private, in which he said he had “funding secured”, led them to lose millions of dollars.

Musk had earlier admitted in a US court that he ignored his advisors and investors while tweeting about Tesla securing funding in 2018.

In August 2018, he had tweeted: “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.”

“Shareholders could either sell at 420 or hold shares & go private,” he added.

The notorious tweet had cost him his role as Chairman of Tesla.

The August 2018 tweet resulted in Musk and Tesla reaching a settlement of fraud charges with the US SEC.

The settlement included $40 million in penalties, split equally between the company and Musk, and the removal of Musk as chairman of the Tesla board.

ALSO READ: Instagram makes people depressed, Twitter makes people angry, says Musk

Previous Story

NATO calls on Russia to respect nuclear treaty with US

Next Story

Pakistan blocks Wikipedia over ‘blasphemous’ content

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Musk activates Starlink in Iran amid internet shutdown

Protestors have been demanding basic rights of freedom and holding

Israel Opens Skies to Musk’s Starlink

The Minister of Communications and the representatives of the company