October 31, 2023
2 mins read

Pichai testifies in US anti-trust trial; takes a dig at Microsoft

Google reportedly paid Apple more than $10 billion a year to be the default search engine on Apple devices and software…reports Asian Lite News

Google CEO Sundar Pichai, on Monday, testified in the US District Court for the District of Columbia in the antitrust trial against the company.

The company is accused by the US government of illegally paying huge sums of money to smartphone makers like Apple and wireless carriers like AT&T and others to make Google the default search engine on their devices to dominate the market. If the government wins the case against Google, the company may have to do away with some of the business practices that helped it to assert dominance in the market.

Pichai, who has been called as a star witness for Google, opened his testimony, speaking about his journey from Chennai to becoming the CEO of Google in 2015, reports CNN.

According to media reports, the Google CEO, during his testimony, said in the initial years the browser market was stagnated as Microsoft was “not that incented to improve the browser,” Internet Explorer. This was before Google launched its Chrome browser.

He said Chrome had a minimalist design and had more room for search results and Google believed that these features would increase the usage of its search platform.

Google’s attorney John Schmidtlein presented before the court an internal e-mail of the company from 2010 that showed that people who changed from Internet Explorer to Chrome performed 48 per cent more searches. “The correlation was pretty clear to see,” Pichai said.

Google reportedly paid Apple more than $10 billion a year to be the default search engine on Apple devices and software.

The Google CEO said as the company renegotiated its deal with Apple, in 2016 and in 2021. Google moved to restrict how Apple could treat search questions users entered on its devices. “We wanted to make sure that as we contemplate a longer-term deal that the notion of default is implemented in a similar way” Pichai said.

He described Google’s deals as standard promotional agreements.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, in his testimony against Google in the trial earlier this month, had warned that there would be a nightmarish scenario for the internet if Google is allowed to have its uncontested dominance in online search market. He also argued that generative AI will help Google consolidate its power and give it an unassailable advantage. “This is going to become even harder to compete in the AI age with someone who has that core… advantage,” Nadella had said.

ALSO READ-Ensure Neutrality, INDIA Bloc Urges Zuckerberg, Pichai

Previous Story

IAF activates three S-400 missile units on China, Pak border

Next Story

X’s valuation half of what Musk spent to acquire it

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Biden admin mulls lifting sanctions on Khamenei

Former President Donald Trump imposed sanctions on the supreme leader,

Bill moved to kill work programme for foreign students in US

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Optional Practical Training (OPT)