August 26, 2023
1 min read

Sudan Urges US to Reconsider Crisis Stance

“The Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the US Ambassador and the government of his country to correct this unbalanced and faulty position…reports Asian Lite News

The Sudanese Foreign Ministry has called on the US government to correct its position towards the current Sudanese crisis and not to equate the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) with the “terrorist militia”.

In a statement on Saturday, the Ministry criticised a social media post from the US Ambassador in Khartoum John Godfrey, in which he called the two warring parties, namely the SAF and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), “the belligerents” in Sudan, and that neither of them was fit to rule.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expects the US Ambassador and the government of his country to correct this unbalanced and faulty position,” the statement said.

The Ministry also said that the US Ambassador should refrain from such statements that contradict diplomatic norms and do not help in bringing Sudan out of its crisis, Xinhua news agency reported.

On Friday, Godfrey called on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, “the belligerents” in Sudan to transfer power to a civilian transitional government.

“A future built by the Sudanese people can only happen when civilians’ security is restored. The belligerents, who have demonstrated they are not fit to govern, must end the conflict and transfer power to a civilian transitional government,” the US diplomat said in his post.

Sudan has been witnessing deadly armed clashes between the SAF and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Khartoum and other areas since April 15, which left more than 3,000 people killed and more than 6,000 injured, according to the Sudanese Health Ministry.

The UN estimates that more than four million people have been displaced from their homes so far, with 3.2 million facing internal displacement and close to 900,000 seeking refuge across borders in countries, including Chad, Egypt, and South Sudan.’

ALSO READ: ‘2 Million Children Displaced in Brutal Sudan Conflict’

Previous Story

Kiev Opposes EU’s Extended Grain Import Ban

Next Story

Indian-origin candidate Tharman Envisions Non-Chinese PM Era in Singapore

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Washington’s special envoy Uzra Zeya to visit India

In India, she will meet with senior government officials to

US, UK, Ireland seek UNSC meet on Tigray

However, the decision to set up a date and time