May 2, 2023
2 mins read

UN holds key talks on Afghanistan in Qatar, sans Taliban

The Taliban has been criticised for its growing curbs on women, including a ban on education and employment….reports Asian Lite News

The Taliban has not been invited to a United Nations-organised conference on Afghanistan in Doha.

Envoys from the United States, China and Russia, as well as major European aid donors and key neighbours such as Pakistan, are among the representatives from about 25 countries and groups called to the two days of closed-door talks by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in the Qatari capital on Monday, Al Jazeera reported. Last week, the UN chief said the de facto Afghan rulers would not be invited to the meeting to discuss the dire humanitarian situation in the country and its international isolation. Taliban recognition was not on the agenda, Al Jazeera reported citing a UN source.

The Taliban has been criticised for its growing curbs on women, including a ban on education and employment.

The Doha Agreement resulted in the US withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021 after 20 years of occupation, leading to the collapse of the West-backed government, Al Jazeera reported.

The Taliban was accused of violating the Doha Agreement after the country’s military takeover.

Before the Doha meeting, the office of the UN chief said the forum “is intended to achieve a common understanding within the international community on how to engage with the Taliban” on women’s and girls’ rights, inclusive governance, countering terrorism and drug trafficking.

The UN Security Council on Thursday condemned the curbs on Afghan women. The UN, which has been engaging with the Taliban, provides food aid to millions of Afghans. The UN deputy chief travelled to Kabul in January to meet Taliban leaders to press the group on women’s rights and education, Al Jazeera reported.

The Doha meeting is crucial for the international community’s engagement with Afghanistan.

It comes as the UN is expected to review its critical relief operation in Afghanistan in the wake of Afghan women being stopped from working with the global agency.

The UN has said it faces an “appalling choice” over whether to maintain its huge operation in the country of 38 million. The review is scheduled to be completed on Friday. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Mortar mine blast kills 3 children in Afghanistan

Previous Story

Indian Minority Forum Launches New Zealand Chapter

Next Story

WFP to continue humanitarian aid in Afghanistan

Latest from -Top News

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s

MIND Diet Shows Short-Term Gains for Cognition

The study enrolled 604 participants who were overweight, had a suboptimal diet, and a family history of Alzheimer’s disease The MIND diet, known for its emphasis on brain-healthy foods like whole grains,
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Qatar to host 2 meetings on Afghanistan situation

Head of High Council for National Reconciliation Abdullah Abdullah along

Afghanistan’s Ghor ravaged by deadly flash floods

Over 50 dead, approximately 2,500 families, residential homes covering hundreds