April 23, 2023
2 mins read

US evacuates diplomats from Sudan

The President announced that Washington is temporarily suspending operations at the US Embassy in Sudan..reports Asian Lite News

US President Joe Biden announced that the American military conducted an operation to extract the country’s government personnel from Khartoum as the violence in Sudan continues to rage.

In his announcement on Saturday, the President said the operation was conducted on his orders and said that “I am proud of the extraordinary commitment of our Embassy staff, who performed their duties with courage and professionalism and embodied America’s friendship and connection with the people of Sudan”.

“I am grateful for the unmatched skill of our service members who successfully brought them to safety. And I thank Djibouti, Ethiopia, and Saudi Arabia, which were critical to the success of our operation,” Biden said in a statement released by the White House.

The President also announced that Washington is temporarily suspending operations at the US Embassy in Sudan, adding that he “continues to monitor receiving regular reports from my team on their ongoing work to assist Americans in Sudan, to the extent possible”.

“This tragic violence in Sudan has already cost the lives of hundreds of innocent civilians. It’s unconscionable and it must stop. The belligerent parties must implement an immediate and unconditional ceasefire, allow unhindered humanitarian access, and respect the will of the people of Sudan,” Biden added.

Also on Saturday, more than 150 citizens, diplomats and international officials were evacuated by sea to the Saudi Arabian port of Jeddah.

They were mostly citizens of Gulf countries, as well as Egypt, Pakistan and Canada, reports the BBC.

While the UK has said that it is considering ways to evacuate its staff, the Canadian government has told its citizens in Sudan to “shelter in a safe place”.

The developments come as the violent clashes between Sudan’s Armed Forces (SAF) and the paramilitary Rapid Action Forces (RAF), which first erupted on April 15, still continue as of Sunday.

Several ceasefires that had seemingly been agreed by both sides were ignored, including a three-day pause to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which started on Friday.

The World Health Organization says more than 400 people have been killed. But the death toll is believed to be much higher as people struggle to reach hospitals.

ALSO READ: Chinese surveillance station exposed in US

Previous Story

Islamic banks’ assets amounted to AED620.9 bn by Jan 2023

Next Story

Limited evacuation of foreigners begins in Sudan

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Fed’s likely interest rate cut collides with election

Interest rates are already a partisan issue going into November,

Pentagon withholding evidence in Russia war crimes case

Democrat Dick Durbin said he had been told by the