June 24, 2023
1 min read

Wagner Chief to leave Russia under deal brokered by Lukashenko

Prigozhin, the alleged head of the Wagner mercenary group, announced that his troops had taken control of military facilities in two Russian cities….reports Asian Lite News

Wagner mercenary force chief Yevgeny Prigozhin will move to Belarus under a deal brokered by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko to end an armed mutiny that Prigozhin had led against Russia’s military leadership, Al Jazeera reported on Saturday, quoting the Kremlin.

“Lukashenko had offered to mediate, with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s agreement because he had known Prigozhin personally for around 20 years,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Saturday, according to Al Jazeera.
Prigozhin said he has ordered his forces, who had been advancing on Moscow, to turn around and return to their bases to avoid bloodshed, it said.

Earlier, authorities in Moscow and the surrounding area said they had declared a “counterterrorism” state of emergency after Prigozhin claimed his forces were in control of military sites in Rostov, Al Jazeera reported.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belarus tweeted, “At 9 p.m. tonight, the Presidents spoke again by phone. The President of #Belarus #Lukashenko informed the President of Russia about the results of negotiations w/ the leader of the Wagner Group. President Putin thanked his counterpart for the work done.”

Earlier in the day, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin in a televised address to the nation said that the “armed mutiny” by the Wagner Group is a “stab in the back” and vowed to punish those who were on the “path of treason” or anyone who takes up arms against the Russian military.

Prigozhin, the alleged head of the Wagner mercenary group, in a series of recordings released on social media on Saturday, announced that his troops had taken control of military facilities in two Russian cities.

Wagner on Saturday claimed to have taken control of Russian military facilities in Voronezh, including the airfield in Rostov-on-Don. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Coup in Russia? Wagner group seize military facilities in 2 cities

Previous Story

No charges against Wagner chief Prigozhin, says Kremlin

Next Story

Modi meets Grand Mufti of Egypt in Cairo

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Ukraine’s propaganda strategy earns praise

According to the anonymous figure, more than 150 public relations

Biden move on to suspend gas tax for 3 months

The official noted that prices had gone up almost $2