July 21, 2024
1 min read

Bangladesh Issues ‘Shoot-on-Sight’ Order

The neighbouring nation has been witnessing widespread protests for weeks over the reintroduction of reservation in government jobs…reports Asian Lite News

The Bangladesh government has imposed a curfew and a shoot-on-sight order after students-led anti-quota protests claimed 133 lives.

The Bangladeshi Supreme Court was expected to rule on a civil service hiring quota on Sunday that has led to days of deadly clashes between police and protesters.

The neighbouring nation has been witnessing widespread protests for weeks over the reintroduction of reservation in government jobs.

Student groups are protesting against a quota system that reserves up to 30 per cent of government jobs for relatives of veterans who fought in Bangladesh’s ‘War of Independence’ in 1971 against Pakistan.

The clash between students, government supporters, and security forces began last month. However, tension escalated on Monday after six people were killed, leading the government to order all universities to close.

In 2018, the government suspended job quotas due to mass student protests. However, in June, Bangladesh’s High Court overturned that decision and reinstated the quotas.

On Wednesday, during an address to the nation, Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina asserted that there is an opportunity to resolve the issue through a legal process as the government has already appealed to the apex court against the court’s verdict, and a hearing date has been fixed in the Appellate Division.

“It is a matter of sorrow that some vested quarters started making different kinds of statements and engaged in terrorist activities to gain their ambitious intentions centring on this movement. As the matter has been brought before the top court, I call upon all to keep patience,” said the Bangladesh PM.

ALSO READ: Over 100 killed as Bangladesh burns over quota stir

Previous Story

Yemen’s Houthis vow to Target Israel

Next Story

Pakistan Protests Attack on Frankfurt Consulate

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

B’desh reaches out to India on Rohingya, energy sector issues

The High Commissioner said that if India-Bangladesh can face the

Samson Shines Bright When It Matters Most

After a lean run, Samson blasted 111 off 47 balls,