May 31, 2024
2 mins read

Belarus suspends participation in arms treaty  

Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Wednesday that its forces would further fortify the country’s border with Belarus after a soldier was seriously wounded with a knife by a migrant on Tuesday…reports Asian Lite News

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has signed the document to suspend the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE), the media reported.

The document was signed by Lukashenko on May 24. The Belarusian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the decision to suspend the CFE was made in the context of the collapse of the existing conventional arms control system in Europe and the continued escalation of the military and political situation in the region.

The Ministry added that if NATO ends its suspension of the treaty, Belarus would do the same. The CFE was signed in November 1990 in Paris by 16 NATO member states and six Warsaw Pact countries. It came into effect in November 1992.

The treaty limits the number of military equipment signatory countries can possess.

Meanwhile, the pressure of mass migration and the war in Ukraine have both forced the issue of securing the EU’s eastern frontier, according to authorities.

Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Wednesday that its forces would further fortify the country’s border with Belarus after a soldier was seriously wounded with a knife by a migrant on Tuesday.

They will use “all available means” to defend the NATO nation’s frontier, he added.

Tusk said that a 200-metre buffer zone would be set up along the border, which is also the European Union’s eastern frontier, a complement to the 190-kilometre metal barrier already in place to prevent an influx of migrants crossing from Belarus.

Together with the defence and interior ministers, Tusk visited troops, border guards and police forces securing the border following the knife attack on a soldier near the village of Dubicze Cerkiewne.

Officials said a migrant reached across the bars of the more than 5 metre-high metal wall separating Poland and Belarus and stabbed the soldier in the ribs. Polish security forces were not able to detain the attacker because he was on the Belarus side of the barrier, officials said.

The soldier remains hospitalised in serious condition.

Tusk said the government will make a final decision on the buffer zone next week. Poland says the pressure of illegal migration on its border is being deliberately driven by Belarus and Russia.

“There is no room for negotiation. Poland’s border must be protected,” Tusk said. “Polish troops, border guards, officers have become the targets of aggression and you have every right, not to say an obligation, to use every means available to you … when you are defending not only the border but also you own life,” Tusk said.

The pro-EU government says the pressure and aggression of illegal migration is rising, organised by Russia and Belarus to destabilise Europe as Moscow wages war on Ukraine. Poland’s authorities say the migrant groups arriving at the border now mainly comprise young men, compared to families with women and children previously.

More than 13,000 attempts at illegal crossings have been registered so far this year, a rise from the same period last year.

ALSO READ-Belarus Backs India’s Bid For UNSC Seat

Previous Story

‘Ukraine to get up to 100,000 shells in June’

Next Story

EU, 26 countries support Taiwan at World Health Assembly

Latest from -Top News

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Belarus threatens to block Europe’s gas supply

The President’s remarks came as thousands of migrants and refugees

Belarus flights ban decision not political: EU Commission

On May 23, a Ryanair flight en route from Greece