November 20, 2024
2 mins read

Trump says ready to use military for mass deportation 

Throughout his campaign, Trump had pledged to mobilize the National Guard to assist Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with deportations….reports Asian Lite News

President-elect Donald Trump has confirmed his intention to use the U.S. military to carry out mass deportations of undocumented migrants. 

On Monday, Trump posted “TRUE!!!” in response to a conservative commentator’s claim that he would declare a national emergency and use military resources for the deportation program. 

Throughout his campaign, Trump had pledged to mobilize the National Guard to assist Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with deportations. 

As his inauguration date of January 20, 2025, approaches, Trump’s comments have raised concerns about how he plans to carry out what would be the largest mass deportation in U.S. history. 

Despite his repeated claims of starting deportations on his first day in office, experts have questioned the feasibility of such a plan. 

ICE, with its 20,000 agents and support personnel, would face significant logistical challenges in locating and removing millions of undocumented migrants. 

Additionally, the financial burden of such an operation would be considerable. However, Trump has stated that cost would not prevent his administration from moving forward with the deportation efforts. 

Trump recently named Tom Homan as his ‘Border Czar’ to oversee the deportation of illegal migrants and securing the borders.  

Homan, 62, an advocate of “zero tolerance” for illegal migration served as the Acting Director of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency for a year-and-a-half during Trump’s earlier stint and left before being confirmed to the post by the Senate. 

He started as a border agent and rose through the ranks. 

In an interview with the Fox News, Homan said that he was going to prioritise deporting the illegal migrants who are “public security and national security threats”, and those already ordered by judges to be deported. 

Another priority, he said would be finding the 300,000 children who came in unaccompanied by adults and President Joe Biden’s administration lost track of. 

Many of them ended up as victims of forced labour and child sex trafficking, he said. 

Homan told Fox News earlier this week that he plans to visit Trump’s Florida home this week to finalize the details of the mass deportation plan, including determining the role of the U.S. Department of Defence (DOD). 

He suggested that the DOD could play a significant part in easing the burden on immigration agencies, noting that the speed of deportations will depend on the resources allocated to the effort. 

ALSO READ: Trump’s NSA pick Waltz pushes arms support for Taiwan

Previous Story

Sheikh Khaled cements UAE’s global partnerships at G20 

Next Story

Former WWE CEO McMahon named education secretary 

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US ends Afghan War in confused retreat

The final pullout came 11 days before the anniversary of

India-born scientist elected to US National Academy of Sciences

The election to the 170-year-old Academy in a recognition of