May 7, 2024
1 min read

Rafah invasion must not go ahead, says Starmer

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant warned on Sunday of “a powerful operation in the very near future in Rafah.”…reports Asian Lite News

An Israeli offensive in the Gazan city of Rafah “must not go ahead,” the leader of the UK’s main opposition Labour Party said on Monday.

Keir Starmer’s comments came after the Israeli military told Palestinian civilians in the area to leave ahead of a planned offensive.

“With more than a million Palestinian civilians sheltering in Rafah, an Israeli offensive must not go ahead,” Starmer wrote on X.

“There must be an immediate ceasefire, the immediate release of all hostages, and unimpeded aid into Gaza that can be delivered regularly, quickly and safely.”

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant warned on Sunday of “a powerful operation in the very near future in Rafah.”

Starmer was echoed by his Shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy, who posted on X that an invasion of Rafah “would be catastrophic.”

Shadow International Development Secretary Lisa Nandy warned that people trapped in Rafah “have nowhere else to go.” So far, at least 34,700 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the start of the war last October.

ALSO READ-Israeli Airstrikes Hit Eastern Rafah, Gaza

Previous Story

Hamas accepts ceasefire proposal of Egypt, Qatar

Next Story

UK govt considered Rwanda-style asylum deal with Iraq

Latest from -Top News

GAZA KILLINGS: War Crime?

Mobile Phone Footage Casts Doubt on Israeli Account of Ambulance Attack in Gaza Newly surfaced mobile phone footage has raised serious questions about the Israeli military’s justification for opening fire on a

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Uganda, South Sudanese leaders hold talks

Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UNRWA: Nearly 800,000 now displaced from Rafah

Following evacuation orders demanding people to flee to so-called safe

Jaishankar meets Starmer in London

Jaishankar also met UK’s Shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy, with