November 28, 2024
3 mins read

Setback as PTI suspends protest in Islamabad 

Earlier on Wednesday, PTI announced a “temporary suspension” of its “do-or-die” protest after a midnight crackdown by law enforcement agencies that led to the dispersal of PTI workers….reports Asian Lite News

 

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur stated on Wednesday that the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) protest is ongoing, asserting that only party founder Imran Khan has the authority to call it off. 

Speaking at a press conference in Mansehra, Gandapur claimed that the party had been subjected to severe oppression, accusing the government of registering baseless cases against PTI members, Geo News reported. 

He said, “Our party has faced coercion. Our leader [Imran Khan] is in jail, and even his wife [Bushra Bibi] was imprisoned.” Gandapur emphasised that PTI is a peaceful party that consistently advocates for the supremacy of the Constitution, despite the challenges it faces. 

Earlier on Wednesday, PTI announced a “temporary suspension” of its “do-or-die” protest after a midnight crackdown by law enforcement agencies that led to the dispersal of PTI workers. The decision came amid rising tensions following the three-day-long Islamabad protest, which began on November 24. 

The move sparked a sharp response from Information Minister Attaullah Tarar, who criticised the PTI leadership. “Such a colossal failure has become their fate. This was not the final call, but merely a missed call,” he remarked, also mocking KP CM Gandapur by suggesting his name should be “Ali Amin Bhagoora (deserter) instead of Ali Amin Gandapur.” 

In the wake of the crackdown, PTI claimed that eight of its members were killed in clashes with law enforcement, while government officials reported that three Rangers personnel and two police officers lost their lives during the stand-off. 

PTI leader Shaukat Yousafzai voiced disappointment over the abrupt end to the Islamabad protest, expressing frustration at the lack of clear direction from party leadership, reported Geo News. 

Speaking on Geo News’ program Geo Pakistan, he said, “The party leadership had failed to provide clear guidance during the protest.” 

Gandapur also used the press conference to attack the government’s handling of PTI activities, accusing it of consistently denying PTI permission for rallies and processions. “Whenever we announce a rally or procession, we are denied permission. Even the courts are not providing justice,” he stated. The chief minister reiterated that the sit-in would continue as per Imran Khan’s directives, emphasising, “We announced a peaceful protest for the Islamabad march, and our founder allowed us to proceed to D-Chowk. Let me make it clear: the sit-in is ongoing.” 

Highlighting the violence that marked the protests, Gandapur claimed that PTI workers had been subjected to unprovoked aggression. “Several of our workers have been martyred, and hundreds have been injured. Why were we fired upon and subjected to violence when we remained peaceful?” he asked, adding that had there been no violence against PTI, their workers would not have retaliated. 

The CM also detailed personal attacks against him during the protests. “I was personally targeted, there was an attempt to abduct me, and even a failed assassination attempt,” he revealed. Gandapur pledged to file an FIR for the violence against PTI workers and hold those responsible accountable. 

He also announced financial compensation for the families of the slain PTI members, saying, “I am announcing PKR 10 million for each of our martyred workers’ families,” Geo News reported. 

Concluding his remarks, Gandapur asserted the strength of his province, stating, “This province knows how to claim its mandate and rights. The nation cannot be enslaved through bullets and violence.” (ANI)

ALSO READ: India Welcomes Israel-Lebanon Ceasefire

ALSO READ:   Moldova seeks deeper education ties with India 

Previous Story

Indian Railways achieves 97% electrification 

Next Story

China launches world’s first self-driving satellites 

Latest from -Top News

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Pakistan finally secures deal with IMF

As per details shared of the broad agreement with the

BLA vows further attacks on Pak Army, Chinese

The BLA’s statement also conveyed a clear message to China,