July 17, 2025
2 mins read

India Engages Allies in Nimisha Priya Case

In a significant development in the case, the scheduled execution of the Indian nurse has been temporarily halted…reports Asian Lite News

India on Thursday reaffirmed its commitment to fully assist in the case of Nimisha Priya, the Kerala nurse facing a death sentence in Yemen, and said it is also engaging with friendly nations to explore all possible support.

“This is a very sensitive matter and the Government of India has been offering all possible assistance in the case. We have provided legal assistance and also appointed a lawyer to assist the family. We have also arranged regular consular visits for the family, and we are in touch with both local authorities and the family members to resolve this issue,” said Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi.

“This included concerted efforts in the last few days to seek more time for her family to reach a mutually agreeable solution with the other party. The local authorities in Yemen have postponed carrying out her sentence that was scheduled for July 16. We will continue to closely follow the matter and render all possible assistance in the case. We are also in touch with some friendly governments in this regard,” he added.

In a significant development in the case, the scheduled execution of the Indian nurse has been temporarily halted.

Nimisha Priya was to be executed on Wednesday, but following the lengthy period of multipronged negotiations, her execution has been kept in abeyance.

Analysts believe that it is the family of the deceased that can pardon Priya. However, with a difference of opinion surfacing in the family, the religious people involved in the negotiations, besides officials, are trying their best to resolve the issue.

It has been learnt that the next part of the negotiation will centre around the ‘blood money’ that will be given. For the unversed, ‘blood money’ is monetary compensation to the family of the person killed in exchange for forgiveness. It is an accepted practice under Sharia law.

A Kerala billionaire has also expressed his willingness to chip in with whatever financial support is needed.

Priya is currently lodged in a jail in Yemen, facing the death penalty for the alleged murder of her former business partner, Talal Abdo Mehdi, in 2017.

She moved to Yemen in 2008 to support her family and initially worked as a nurse before opening her clinic.

In 2017, following a dispute with Mehdi — her business partner — she allegedly administered sedatives to him in a bid to retrieve her confiscated passport. However, the sedatives proved fatal.

Priya was arrested while attempting to flee the country and was convicted of murder in 2018.

A death sentence was handed down in 2020 and upheld by Yemen’s Supreme Judicial Council in November 2023.

However, the court allowed the possibility of clemency through a ‘blood money’ arrangement.

Previous Story

Radicals Rise After Hasina Fall

Next Story

Pragg Zaps Magnus

Latest from -Top News

Xi Welcomes Modi at SCO Reception

Earlier in the day, PM Modi held a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Tianjin…reports Asian Lite News Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife, Peng Liyuan, welcomed Prime Minister Narendra

Modi Meets Xi in Tianjin

During the meeting, the two leaders reviewed the progress of India-China ties since last meet in Russia’s Kazan in 2024…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced, diversified international partnerships, particularly with emerging countries such as China,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming days, and the entry of ground aid via trucks to
Go toTop

Don't Miss

France satisfied with G20 declaration

The New Delhi declaration was adopted earlier in the day

India govt blocked 110 YouTube channels since December 2021

In response to a separate question, the union minister said