September 18, 2020
1 min read

US Open champ Osaka pulls out of French Open

Naomi Osaka of Japan (Xinhua/Li Muzi/IANS)
Naomi Osaka of Japan (Xinhua/Li Muzi/IANS),

Recently crowned US Open champion Naomi Osaka has pulled out of the upcoming French Open slated to begin from September 27.

Osaka, who last week claimed her third grand slam title in New York, is struggling with a hamstring injury.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play the French Open this year,” the 22-year-old on Friday said in a statement on social media.

The world number three, who wore tape on her left hamstring as she came from a set down to beat Victoria Azarenka 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the summit clash at the Flushing Meadows, said the turnaround between tournaments was too tight for her to recover fully.

Osaka joins world number one and reigning champion Ashleigh Barty in pulling out of competition at the Roland Garros. Barty had confirmed that she will not participate at the clay court Grand Slam due to health concerns and a lack of preparation.

The French Open was originally scheduled to start in May but had to be moved back because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Meanwhile, the organisers have announced that a total of 11,500 spectators per day will be allowed at the Grand Slam. Roland Garros will be divided into three zones based on the three main courts, with 5,000 people each for the Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen courts. The zone surrounding the third biggest court will host a maximum of 1,500 spectators a day.

Also Read: US Open: Murray wins epic 5 set game

Previous Story

Pakistan freezes assets of JuD, JeM to evade FATF blacklisting

Next Story

Ellie Loves A Musical Journey To India

Latest from Sport

Surrey Bring Back Roach 

Known for his ability to seam and swing the red ball, Roach will link up with the squad ahead of the season opener at Chelmsford and stay with the team till the

Eagles Glide to FA Cup Semis 

Oliver Glasner made a sole change to his side, with forward Jean-Philippe Mateta returning to the team and Nketiah dropping to the bench. …reports Asian Lite News Crystal Palace secured their place in

Morgan: Stokes Now, Brook Later 

England needs to find a new white-ball captain before they begin their 2025/26 home summer with three ODIs and as many T20Is against the West Indies, set to happen from May 29
Go toTop