January 28, 2021
1 min read

8,500 Afghan civilians killed, wounded in 2020

Based on the report, the Taliban were responsible for 4,568 deaths and injuries of civilians during this period, while the unknown groups were responsible for killing and wounding 2,107, while the security forces were blamed for 1,188 deaths and injuries…reports Asian Lite News

In its latest report, the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) has revealed that more than 8,500 civilians were killed and wounded due to the war and violence in the country last year.

According to the AIHRC report, there were some 3,000 dead Afghan civilians killed, while over 5,000 were wounded.

Civilian casualties in Afghanistan dropped 21 per cent in 2020 as compared to 2019, TOLO News reported.
Unknown armed groups were the second highest cause of casualties after the Taliban, it said.

Based on the report, the Taliban were responsible for 4,568 deaths and injuries of civilians during this period, while the unknown groups were responsible for killing and wounding 2,107, while the security forces were blamed for 1,188 deaths and injuries.

“Civilian casualties are still very high, we can say that there is a catastrophe going on in Afghanistan,” said Naeem Nazari, the deputy head of the AIHRC.

“The Taliban in recent times has committed major crimes without taking responsibility for them. The Taliban have martyred thousands of our civilian compatriots,” said Tariq Arian, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior.

In 2018 and 2019, complex suicide attacks and car bombing incidents caused most of the casualties.

However, in 2020 targeted killings, assassinations and magnetic mine explosions claimed the most civilian lives, and, more worryingly, no group has claimed responsibility for these attacks.

Also read:Twin blasts in Afghanistan kill 3

Previous Story

S.Korea, US to host joint drills

Next Story

UK schools to remain closed till March: Johnson

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop