October 13, 2020
1 min read

UN plans aid for Syrian wildfire victims

Early estimates indicate that up to 140,000 people may have been impacted by the damage…Asian Lite News Reports

The UN and its humanitarian partners have coordinated with authorities in Syria to develop a contingency response plan after wildfires have killed three people and displaced as many as 25,000 others.

In a statement on Monday, Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said that 79 others were also hospitalised due to the wildfires in the coastal regions of Latakia and Tartous and Homs, Xinhua news agency reported.

Early estimates indicate that up to 140,000 people may have been impacted by the damage.

“Our colleagues at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs are coordinating with authorities and humanitarian partners to help develop a contingency response plan,” Dujarric said.

At least 156 wildfires were reported in the three governorates, with significant spread reported across several areas on October 9 and 10, he said.

Local authorities reported on Sunday that all the fires had been contained but the risk of reignition remains in some areas

Also read:Oman Restarts Diplomatic Mission In Syria

Also read:Boris Unveils 3-Tier Covid Restrictions

Previous Story

‘Kaleen bhaiya Made Me Popular’

Next Story

France witnesses steep fall in Covid 19 cases

Latest from Asia News

Bangladesh’s China Pivot: A Risky Bet?

While leveraging major powers for economic and strategic benefits is a common diplomatic tactic for smaller nations, the risks of over-reliance on China are well-documented in the experiences of Sri Lanka, the

Balochistan cracks down on dissent voices 

  The administration has announced stringent measures against individuals – including government employees, activists – suspected of anti-state activities, a move that has drawn sharp criticism from human rights groups and international
Go toTop