May 17, 2021
1 min read

UK defends the timing of putting India on ‘red list’

He said those aged over 50 and those considered clinically vulnerable will be able to get a second vaccine dose after eight weeks. He also said the spread of the new variant would not affect the scheduled easing of lockdown in England from May 17…reports Asian Lite News.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has defended the timing of the travel ban on India amid concerns that the coronavirus variant first identified in the subcontinent could likely become the dominant variant in Britain, according to reports.

The health secretary told Sky News that variant B.1.617.2 was notified as a variant under investigation after the government had already put India on the travel “red list”.

“The decision to put India on the red list was taken because of the high positivity rate of people coming from India and looking at the epi-curve in India,” Hancock was quoted as saying.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson had earlier announced that the country was planning to accelerate its coronavirus vaccination program for priority groups amid concerns over the spread of the B.1.617.2 variant.

He said those aged over 50 and those considered clinically vulnerable will be able to get a second vaccine dose after eight weeks. He also said the spread of the new variant would not affect the scheduled easing of lockdown in England from May 17.

But the Prime Minister said the variant could cause “serious disruption” to the next stage of lockdown easing on June 21.

Johnson said “at this stage” there are some important unknowns but he believes the variant is “more transmissible” than previous ones, and therefore the race between the vaccination programme and the virus could get tighter.

He said there was “no evidence” to suggest the current vaccines would be less effective against the strain.

ALSO READ-UK, Ireland agree to maintain smooth post-Brexit trade

READ MORE-UK lockdown easing at risk over variant threat

Previous Story

Pro-Palestinian protest held in London

Next Story

No decision yet on Pfizer offer to vaccinate athletes

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Taliban’s Islamic State = RSS’s Hindu Rashtra

Digvijaya Singh, who is bitter crtitic of the RSS was

India-Gambia ready to refurbish governance reforms

The step will be taken as the Union Cabinet on