Houthi attacks disrupt peace efforts

Advertisement

Fire caused by Houthi attack on Aramco station in Jeddah has been brought under control, officials said, reports Asian Lite News

The Saudi air defences have intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile and nine bomb-laden drones targeting civilian objects and economic installations in the Kingdom.

Meanwhile, a limited fire that was caused by a Houthi hostile attack targeting an Aramco distribution station for petroleum products in Jeddah has been brought under control, the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen said on Sunday.

Falling debris from an intercepted missile damaged some vehicles at a parking lot in Jazan on Saturday. (SPA)

“Initial investigations indicate that the militia has used (Iranian) cruise missiles that targeted Al Shuqaiq Water Desalination Plant and Aramco’s Jizan Bulk Plant,” said Brigadier General Turki Al-Malki, spokesperson for the Saudi-led Coaliton.

The targeted locations also include the power transmission station in Dhahran Al Janub, the National Gas and Industrialization Company’s Khamis Mushait Gas Station and Aramco’s Liquified Gas Plant in Yanbu.

These hostile attacks and scattered debris as a result of their interception caused some material damages to the facilities, civilian vehicles and civilian houses, and no loss of life was recorded until the issuance of the statement.

He said these attacks are a dangerous escalation and represents Houthis’ approach towards the peace consultations offered by the GCC.

“They also represent the terrorist Houthi militia’s position in regards to the invitation extended by H.E. the Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council in order to host inclusive Yemeni-Yemeni consultations, and underline the militia’s approach of rejection towards all international efforts and initiatives, including the Saudi Initiative, and reaching a comprehensive and sustainable political resolution to end the Yemeni crisis,” the statement added.

Saudi firefighters inspect the damage caused by the debris of a missile intercepted in Jazan (SPA)

GCC Secretary General Dr. Nayef Al-Hajraf had earlier invited all Yemeni parties involved to hold consultations under the auspices of the council, set for March 29 to the seventh of April in the Saudi capital, Riyadh.

Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates has strongly condemned the terrorist Houthi militias’ latest attacks targeting civilian objects in various locations, using ballistic missiles and bomb-laden drones.

In a statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC), the UAE said that the continued threat of these attacks by the Houthi militias reflects their blatant disregard for the international community, the efforts made to end the Yemeni crisis, and all international laws and norms.

MoFAIC urged the international community to take an immediate and decisive stance to stop these recurrent acts that threaten the security and safety of civilians as well as the security of global energy supplies and economic stability. It also called on the international community to support measures taken by the Arab Coalition, led by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, to stop the Houthi militias from targeting civilian objects and deter their threats to countries of the region.

The UAE reiterated its full solidarity with Saudi Arabia over these subversive terrorist attacks and underscored its stance against all threats to the Kingdom’s security and stability.

The UAE also underlined its support for all measures taken by Saudi authorities, stressing that the security of the UAE and that of Saudi Arabia are indivisible and that any threat facing the Kingdom is considered a threat to the security and stability of the UAE.

ALSO READ: UAE welcomes EU’s sanctioning of Houthis

Iraq on Sunday condemned the latest attacks that targeted energy facilities in Saudi Arabia, the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The ministry “reiterated its stance calling for the adoption of dialogue to end these actions between the parties to the conflict, as the dialogue ensures mechanisms for all parties to avoid more losses”, Xinhua news agency quoted the statement as saying.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthi militia seized control of the northern provinces and forced the Saudi-backed Yemeni government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa. The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the following year to support the Yemeni government