The United Arab Emirates has strongly condemned the air strikes by Israel and underscored that indiscriminate attacks will result in irreparable ramifications in the region….reports Asian Lite News
Arab League (AL) Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul-Gheit has strongly condemned the deadly Israeli airstrike on the Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip.
In a statement on Tuesday, the AL chief said that it was “a new crime” in Gaza and that the international community should no longer remain silent.
The United Arab Emirates has strongly condemned the air strikes by Israel and underscored that indiscriminate attacks will result in irreparable ramifications in the region.
In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) reaffirmed the need for an immediate ceasefire to prevent further loss of life, stressing the importance of protecting civilians, according to international humanitarian law, international treaties, and the need to ensure that they are not targeted during conflict.
Furthermore, the Ministry stressed the importance of the United Nations General Assembly resolution which calls for a humanitarian truce in Gaza and a cessation of hostilities. The Ministry underscored that the resolution is an important step towards de-escalation, protecting civilians, preserving their lives as well as ensuring an immediate, safe, sustainable, and unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid.
The United Nations Security Council held an emergency meeting on Monday upon the UAE’s request to be convened in light of Israel’s announcement that it is expanding ground operations in the Gaza Strip, urging the international community to remain resolute in ending this cycle of conflict.
The UAE reiterates that the continued lack of a political horizon risks catastrophic repercussions, and disregarding the potential consequences would lead to devastating outcomes for the prospects of peace and stability in the region.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement the attack was a “flagrant violation of international laws”.
Jordan’s Foreign Ministry also condemned the attack and said Jordan held Israel responsible for the dangerous development.
It also denounced Israel’s ongoing escalation of tension in the West Bank and Israeli settlers’ increasing attacks on Palestinian civilians.
It also called on the international community to assume its responsibility, stop the ongoing conflict, and provide international protection for Palestinians.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia expressed its “complete rejection” of the Israeli Forces’ repeated “targeting of sites crowded with civilians,”
Israeli warplanes hit the densely populated Jabalia refugee camp on Tuesday. The Israel military said that one of the top Hamas leaders who was responsible for the October 7 assault was killed in the attack.
However, the Hamas has denied that a member was present in the camp during the airstrike. Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem accused Israel of attempting to justify what he described as a “heinous crime against safe civilians, children, and women in Jabalya camp”.
After the attack, the Gaza-based Health Ministry said in a statement that more than 50 people were killed, approximately 150 others injured, and “dozens” of others buried under the rubble.
Jabalia is the largest of the Gaza Strip’s eight refugee camps, according to the UN.
Telecom firms in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday confirmed that the Hamas-controlled enclave has been hit by yet another communications blackout, with Internet services also down.
In a post on X, Palestine Telecommunications (Paltel) said: “We regret to announce a complete interruption of all communications and Internet services within the Gaza Strip, due to international routes that were previously reconnected being cut off again.”
Also in a social media post, the Jawwal Telecommunication Company confirmed that its cellphone services were currently down.
Meanwhile, Palestinian news outlets and the Hamas group on Telegram have also reported that communications with Gaza have been cut.
Communications have been repeatedly impacted in Gaza, with independent internet monitoring groups saying that recent blackouts have been the worst since the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas began on October 7.
‘Humanitarian law cannot be applied selectively’
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday said that he is “deeply alarmed” by the intensification of the conflict between Israel and Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups in Gaza. He asserted that “international humanitarian law is not an a la carte menu and cannot be applied selectively.”
“International humanitarian law establishes clear rules that cannot be ignored. It is not an a la carte menu and cannot be applied selectively. All parties must abide by it, including the principles of distinction, proportionality, and precaution,” Guterres said in a statement.
He reiterated his call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire and humanitarian access to be granted consistently to meet the urgent needs created by the catastrophe unfolding in Gaza. Guterres urged all leaders to exercise the utmost restraint to avoid a “wider conflagration.”
He noted that people have borne the brunt of the current fighting from the outset. He called the protection of civilians on both sides “paramount” and stressed that it must be respected at all times.