August 29, 2025
5 mins read

Davey Snubs Trump Over Gaza

The move, which Davey said was intended to send a “strong message”, has drawn sharp criticism from political opponents …reports Asian Lite News

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey has announced he will boycott a state banquet hosted by King Charles during Donald Trump’s visit to Britain next month, citing the US president’s stance on the war in Gaza.

The move, which Davey said was intended to send a “strong message”, has drawn sharp criticism from political opponents but also reignited debate over Britain’s handling of the conflict and the pageantry surrounding Trump’s forthcoming trip.

The White House confirmed earlier this year that Trump will make a state visit to the United Kingdom between 17 and 19 September – his second such occasion, and an unusual privilege granted to a serving US president. Central to the visit will be a lavish banquet in his honour, to be held at Buckingham Palace and hosted by King Charles III.

Writing in The Guardian, Davey explained his decision to refuse the invitation. “I feel a responsibility to do whatever I can to ensure the people in Gaza are not forgotten during the pomp and ceremony,” he said. “Boycotting the state banquet is not something I ever wanted to do, but I believe it is the only way I can send a message to both Trump and [Prime Minister Keir] Starmer that they cannot close their eyes and wish this away. I have come to the conclusion that on this occasion I must refuse.”

The Liberal Democrat leader, whose party is the third largest in the House of Commons, insisted his protest was not aimed at the monarch. In an interview with BBC Radio 4 on Thursday morning he stressed: “No disrespect is meant to the King.” Instead, he said, the refusal was aimed squarely at highlighting what he views as international indifference to the suffering in Gaza.

The decision has provoked a backlash from Conservatives, who labelled it “an act of deep disrespect”. Senior Tory MPs argued that the state banquet was a matter of diplomatic courtesy and that refusing to attend undermined Britain’s ability to project unity on the global stage.

Yet Davey is not the first politician to decline such an invitation. When Trump made his first state visit in 2019, several high-profile figures also stayed away from the banquet at Buckingham Palace, including then Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, Commons Speaker John Bercow and Liberal Democrat leader at the time, Vince Cable. That trip was marked by large demonstrations across London, with tens of thousands of protesters marching against the president’s presence.

This year’s visit is already expected to draw significant public opposition. Campaign groups have begun planning protests in London and other major cities, citing Trump’s positions on Gaza, climate change, immigration and women’s rights. Organisers say they hope to stage demonstrations reminiscent of the huge balloon protest in 2019, when a giant “Trump baby” blimp floated above Westminster.

Keir Starmer was personally involved in extending the invitation. During a trip to Washington in February, he handed Trump a formal letter of invitation from King Charles. Reports at the time suggested the US president was “delighted” to receive it. The Prime Minister has so far not commented on Davey’s decision to boycott the dinner.

The war in Gaza has been a defining issue in British politics over recent months. The Government has faced mounting pressure from campaigners and MPs across parties to take a firmer line on Israel’s military campaign and to do more to press for a ceasefire. Davey has repeatedly spoken out on the issue in Parliament, urging ministers to act to prevent further civilian casualties. His decision to boycott the banquet is seen by allies as an extension of that stance.

Supporters within the Liberal Democrats praised the move as a matter of principle. One senior party source said: “Attending the banquet would have been the easy option, but it would have sent entirely the wrong signal. Standing up for human rights sometimes means saying no.”

But critics warned that the boycott risked overshadowing the broader purpose of a state visit – to reinforce ties between Britain and its closest ally. Former Conservative minister Desmond Swayne said: “This is gesture politics at its worst. Whatever one thinks of Trump, the state banquet is not about him personally but about the enduring relationship between our two countries.”

For King Charles, the occasion will present delicate balancing acts of his own. While the monarch traditionally hosts visiting heads of state, he is expected to tread carefully in public appearances given the controversies surrounding Trump’s presidency. Palace officials have declined to comment on Davey’s boycott, insisting only that arrangements for the banquet remain “in hand”.

With less than a month to go, security preparations are being stepped up across central London. The Metropolitan Police is braced for significant protests, with extensive road closures and barriers expected around Buckingham Palace and Whitehall. Officials have privately acknowledged that the scale of the demonstrations could rival those of 2019.

For Davey, the calculation appears clear: to draw attention to Gaza by withdrawing from one of the most high-profile events of the year. “There will be no shortage of people lining up to shake Donald Trump’s hand,” he wrote. “I do not need to be one of them.”

Whether the boycott will resonate with the wider public remains to be seen. But as Britain prepares to roll out the red carpet for a divisive American leader, it is evident that the political and moral dilemmas his visit provokes are already on full display.

Previous Story

Trump Camp Cites Delhi to Target US Cities

Next Story

76% of Brits support EU youth mobility plans

Latest from -Top News

UAE champions global water cooperation at Stockholm

The United Arab Emirates reaffirmed its leadership role in advancing global water security through active participation in the 35th World Water Week in Stockholm…reports Asian Lite News The UAE emphasised that water

Egypt, UAE forge strong Arab unity

The Prime Minister emphasised that continued consultation and coordination between Cairo and Abu Dhabi are central to dealing with issues of common concern…reports Asian Lite News Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli has

Dubai Airshow to unveil flying future

Dubai Airshow 2025 will redefine the future of flight, showcasing eVTOLs, vertiports, and global innovations as the UAE cements itself as a leader in advanced air mobility….reports Asian Lite News Dubai is

Culture, careers and courage define Emirati women

The forum drew nearly 700 participants, including senior officials, government executives, academics and business leaders….reports Asian Lite News The Emirati Women’s Forum, held under the patronage of Her Highness Sheikha Manal bint
Go toTop

Don't Miss

National abortion ban splits Trump campaign

Trump’s campaign has sought to reshape the Republican National Committee

Vance Defends US Sanctions, Tariffs on India

Vance said the Trump administration is making it harder for