August 11, 2021
1 min read

China’s nuclear arsenal becoming difficult to hide, says US govt

US Secretary of State Antony J Blinken last week had noted serious concerns over the rapid growth of China’s nuclear arsenal….reports Asian Lite News

Underlining China’s rapidly building nuclear arsenal, the United States on Tuesday said that Beijing should participate in consultations on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Ned Price, State Department spokesperson during a press briefing, said the US believes it is important that nuclear powers engage in non-proliferation dialogue directly to discuss reducing nuclear dangers and avoiding miscalculation.

“We encourage Beijing to engage with us on practical measures to reduce the risks of destabilizing arms races and conflict,” Price said at a briefing.

“…our Deputy Secretary Wendy Sherman recently engaged in a round of Strategic Stability Dialogue with the Russian Federation. And it’s important that nuclear powers – China, of course, be among them – be open to professional dialogue and discussion, precisely to reduce the risk of these weapons,” the spokesperson said.

While refraining from commenting on China’s nuclear doctrine, the spokesperson added that it is becoming “more and more obvious” that Beijing is building a larger and more diverse nuclear arsenal.

“Despite efforts to obfuscate this, this rapid build-up has become more difficult to hide, and it does suggest that China is deviating from decades of nuclear strategy based around minimum deterrence,” he added.

US Secretary of State Antony J Blinken last week had noted serious concerns over the rapid growth of China’s nuclear arsenal. He had highlighted how Beijing has sharply deviated from its decades-old nuclear strategy based on minimum deterrence.

Last month, satellite images revealed that Beijing is building a nuclear missile silo field 380 km northwest of the Yumen field and this has set the alarm bells ringing for the United States.

Considering other missile silos that are being constructed by China, the country seems to be aiming for a tenfold increase in intercontinental ballistic missiles, The Washington Post reported. (ANI)

ALSO READ:US govt announces $50 million assistance to Myanmar

ALSO READ: NY governor Cuomo resigns over sexual harassment allegations

Previous Story

NY governor Cuomo resigns over sexual harassment allegations

Next Story

North Korea slams South over joint military drills with US

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Former WWE CEO McMahon named education secretary 

Trump described McMahon as a “fierce advocate for Parents’ Rights”

Chinese fighter jets, warships rattle Taiwan

Multiple Chinese aircraft and vessels crossed the unofficial, but so