October 21, 2022
2 mins read

7 Chinese charged over forced repatriation campaign

Beijing has defended the operation as part of an anti-corruption campaign and said its law enforcement agencies follow international laws when abroad….reports Asian Lite News

The United States charged seven Chinese nationals on Thursday for participating in an alleged campaign to force a US resident back to China as part of an “international extralegal repatriation” operation run by Beijing.

The Justice Department said the defendants were engaged in Beijing’s Operation Fox Hunt, which US authorities have said involves extra-judicial “repatriation squads” that clandestinely attempt to force expatriates to return to China.

Beijing has defended the operation as part of an anti-corruption campaign and said its law enforcement agencies follow international laws when abroad.

The seven people charged on Thursday allegedly surveilled and harassed the family of an “elite” overseas Chinese national they called John Doe-1 as part of a forced repatriation campaign against him.

“The defendants engaged in a unilateral and uncoordinated law enforcement action on U.S. soil on behalf of the government of the People’s Republic of China, in an effort to cause the forced repatriation of a U.S. resident to China,” Justice Department attorney Breon Peace said in a statement.

“The United States will firmly counter such outrageous violations of national sovereignty and prosecute individuals who act as illegal agents of foreign states.”

Two of those charged — lead defendant, Quanzhong An, 55, and his daughter Guangyang An, 34, — were arrested Thursday, while the other five accused remain at large.

The Justice Department said Quanzhong An, described as a New York businessman, was Beijing’s key US-based liaison.

“Quanzhong An admitted that he was acting as an agent of the Provincial Commission to increase his standing in the PRC,” the Justice Department said, adding that he met with the targeted expatriate’s son several times to “cause the return of John Doe-1.”

The campaign also saw one of John Doe-1’s relatives sent from China to the US in 2018 to convey threats to his son “that were intended to coerce” his return.

Spanish-based rights group Safeguard Defenders released a report in January citing government data to estimate that almost 10,000 Chinese nationals had been forcibly returned since 2014.

Through two programs, Operation Fox Hunt and Operation Sky Net, those targeted were pressured to return to China against their will using a combination of non-judicial methods — including kidnappings, harassment and intimidation, according to the report.

In July, the US charged nine people with “acting as and conspiring to act as unregistered agents” of China under Operation Fox Hunt.

In October, five people were arrested for targeting an unnamed Chinese person living in the US.

ALSO READ: Biden to release 15M barrels from oil reserve

Previous Story

Philippines to buy US copters after dropping Russia deal

Next Story

Weekly storage of natural gas in US increases: EIA

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Uganda, South Sudanese leaders hold talks

Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US slams Israel’s ops in Rafah 

Clarifying US’ stance on Israel’s ground offensive in Rafah, Miller

Western firms bet big on China despite risks

Major banks in recent weeks have inked deals to expand