March 13, 2024
2 mins read

Houthis warn attacks will intensify during Ramadan

Houthi media also said that the US and UK carried out five strikes on the northern province of Saada on Monday, but did not provide specific targets…reports Asian Lite News

US Central Command said it carried out six strikes on Yemen on Monday, destroying an unmanned underwater vessel and 18 anti-ship missiles that the Yemeni Houthi militia had prepared to launch at US and international ships in the Red Sea, as the group warned it was prepared to step up attacks in the region during Ramadan.

The Houthis launched two missiles at the Pinocchio, a Singaporean-owned and Liberian-flagged ship, between 8:50 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. Sanaa time on Monday, according to CENTCOM. The missiles failed to impact the ship and caused no injuries or damage.

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Sarea claimed the Pinocchio is owned by the US and that their missiles “precisely” targeted the ship, pledging to intensify their assaults on shipping in the Red Sea, Bab Al-Mandab Strait, and the Gulf of Aden during Ramadan.

“The Yemeni Armed Forces declare that, with God’s help, their military actions would expand throughout Ramadan, the month of jihad in support of the oppressed Palestinian people and our mujahideen brothers in Gaza,” Sarea said in a televised statement.

Houthi media also said that the US and UK carried out five strikes on the northern province of Saada on Monday, but did not provide specific targets.

Since November, the Iran-backed Houthis have attacked commercial and military ships in international waters off Yemen, claiming to be acting in support of Palestinians and attempting to force Israel to end its campaign in Gaza.

Last week, Houthi militia leader Abdul Malik Al-Houthi said the group has launched over 400 drones and missiles against more than 60 ships since the start of their operations.

Meanwhile, Yemen’s Information Minister Muammar Al-Eryani praised social media platform X for removing verification badges from Houthi media outlet and militia commanders’ accounts.

According to the ministry, X has withdrawn the blue verification mark from Houthi-affiliated Al-Masirah Channel as well as accounts belonging to Sarea, Al-Houthi and others, and is preparing to shut those accounts at the request of the government.

“We commend this step that we have repeatedly called for as part of government efforts to dry up the Houthi militia (financial, political and media) resources, and we renew our demand for social media applications and satellite companies to ban the content of the Houthi militia,” Al-Eryani said on X.

Days after the US decision to reclassify the Houthis as terrorists in January, the Yemeni government sent official letters to major social media platforms such as Meta and X, demanding that they close Houthi media accounts as well as those belonging to the militia’s officials and sympathizers, accusing the Houthis of using social media platforms to incite hatred, recruit children for terrorism, and call for attacks on maritime traffic.

ALSO READ-US coalition foils ‘large-scale’ Houthi attack in Red Sea

Previous Story

India thanks outgoing envoy Ellis for strengthening ties  

Next Story

Terror stalks Hindu community in Sindh

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Houthi Forces Target Commercial Ship Carrying Food Aid for Yemen

The attack was carried out using two ballistic missiles, according

Houthi launch drone attacks against Saudi Aramco oil facilities

The Houthi militia announced multiple attacks against Aramco oil facilities