Gunmen attack Libyan PM convoy in Tripoli

Advertisement

Unidentified gunmen attacked the convoy of Libyan Prime Minister Abdul-Hamid Dbeibah in the capital Tripoli, said Libya’s Interior Ministry…reports Asian Lite News

“Earlier on Thursday, the convoy of the Prime Minister was subjected to an armed attack in Souk al-Juma district (central Tripoli) by individuals in a vehicle with no license plates,” Abdulmenem al-Arabi, the Ministry’s Spokesman, said on Thursday in a statement.

Confirming that the attack caused no casualties, al-Arabi added that the incident happened after a protest against “the political developments in the country”.

“The Interior Ministry condemns this criminal act,” the Spokesman said, confirming that an investigation was underway “to bring the criminals to justice”.

The statement was issued a few hours after the House of Representatives (Parliament) unanimously voted for Fathi Bashagha as the country’s new Prime Minister, Xinhua news agency reported.

ALSO READ:Russia, Egypt Discuss Libyan Issue

However, Dbeibah said on Tuesday that his government would remain in office until elections are held and will only hand over power to “an elected government”.

Dbeibah’s Government of National Unity was appointed by the UN-sponsored Libyan Political Dialogue Forum in February 2021, ending years of political division in the North African country.

The Libyan parliament withdrew confidence from Dbeibah’s government in September 2021 and kept it as a caretaker government.

General elections in Libya had been scheduled for December 24, 2021, but were postponed indefinitely over technical and legal issues.