India bans 54 Chinese apps over national security threat

Advertisement

According to sources, many of these applications are refurbished versions of apps already banned by India in 2020, reports Asian Lite Newsdesk

The Centre is all set to ban 54 Chinese mobile applications which are posing threat to national security, the sources in the Ministry of Home Affairs said on Monday.

According to sources, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), has identified these applications which belong to major Chinese tech companies like Tencent, Alibaba and NetEase and the applications include such as Sweet Selfie HD, Beauty Camera – Selfie Camera, Equalizer & Bass Booster, Tencent Xriver, ect.

The sources also said that many of these applications are refurbished versions of apps already banned by India in 2020.

The latest move could be a fallout of the current standoff between India and China locked in a protracted border dispute.

This is the first lot of apps to be banned by the government this year after a total of 270 apps were banned since 2020.

The MeitY had banned 59 Chinese apps in June 2020 referring to them as being ‘prejudicial’ to India’s sovereignty, integrity and national security. The list included the popular smartphone app TikTok, Helo, WeChat, Kwai, Clash of Kings, Alibaba’s UC Browser and UC News, Likee, Bigo Live, Shein, Club Factory, and Cam Scanner besides others.

Recently, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry on February 10 informed the Rajya Sabha that it had blocked 60 Pakistan backed YouTube Channels which were circulating fake news against the Government.

Replying to question on actions taken against fake news and propaganda by the communication agencies, the Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Dr L. Murugan informed the Upper House that the government has blocked 60 YouTube channels including their all social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram of those channels which were involved in circulating fake news against the Indian government and were backed by Pakistan.

Last week, India had strongly objected to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which is proposed in the illegally occupied parts of Jammu and Kashmir. The Indian government also rejected the reference of Kashmir in the joint statement released by Pakistan and China.


“We have noted references to Jammu & Kashmir and the so-called China-Pakistan Economic Corridor in the joint statement between China and Pakistan issued on February 6, 2022. We have always rejected such references and our position is well known to China and Pakistan. In this instance too, we reject reference to Jammu and Kashmir in the joint statement. The Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union Territory of Ladakh have been, are and will always remain integral and inalienable parts of India. We expect the parties concerned not to interfere in matters that are internal affairs of India”, said MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi.

“As regard the so-called China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), we have consistently conveyed our concerns to China and Pakistan on the projects in the so-called CPEC, which are in India’s territory that has been illegally occupied by Pakistan. We resolutely oppose any attempts to change the status quo by other countries, as also by Pakistan, in the areas under the illegal occupation of Pakistan. We call upon the parties concerned to cease such activities,” he stated further.

Meanwhile, there is no confirmed date for the next round of Corps Commander-level talks between India and China yet, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Thursday.

The 14th round of India-China Corps Commander-level talks were held on January 12 at the Chushul-Moldo meeting point.

This Corps Commander-level talks between India and China started after the military face-off in Galwan Valley in June 2020.

ALSO READ: ‘Modi’s policies to fuel Balkanisation of India’