June 5, 2022
2 mins read

Saudi Arabia welcomes first foreign Hajj pilgrims since pandemic

Saudi authorities previously implemented tight restrictions on the religious ritual to ensure the health and safety of all worshippers against the coronavirus….reports Asian Lite News

Saudi Arabia welcomed foreign Hajj pilgrims to Islam’s second holiest city on Saturday, the first since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the country.

The pilgrims, who arrived at Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah from Indonesia, were presented flowers, dates and Zamzam water bottles upon arrival.

The flight, carrying 358 pilgrims, was received by Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Bijawe, undersecretary of the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah for visit affairs, the Indonesian ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Dr. Abdulaziz Ahmed, and a number of officials.

Saudi authorities previously implemented tight restrictions on the religious ritual to ensure the health and safety of all worshippers against the coronavirus.

The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said that registration for local pilgrims, citizens and residents wishing to perform Hajj this year continues until Saturday, June 11.

Applicants must be no older than 65 and must have a valid residency permit. The ministry said that priority will be given to those who have not previously performed Hajj and are fully immunized as per their status on the Tawakkalna app.

To perform Hajj this year, citizens and residents are required to have received three doses of COVID-19 vaccine.

The ministry said that registration can be completed through the Eatmarna application, which allows pilgrims to review all available packages, or online at https://localhaj.haj.gov.sa. Pilgrims can create a list of preferred packages, choose from them, add companions and ensure that all their data, such as immunization status, is correct and their requirements met.

This year’s Hajj season will accommodate 1 million pilgrims, while ensuring people’s safety amid the continuing presence of COVID-19, and quality of services, according to Hajj and Umrah Minister Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah.

“We know that there are many requirements to perform Hajj for this year,” he said, “but the safety of pilgrims and their safe return to their countries remain our priorities.

“In addition, we were keen on using the Hajj technologies, including the pilgrims’ smart ID, which we will keep implementing this year to render the transport of the visitors of Allah easier and to ensure their fast arrival to their locations and tents whether in Mina or Arafat.”

ALSO READ: US discusses risk of Red Sea oil spill with Saudi

Previous Story

UAE President visits Rulers of the Emirates

Next Story

Saudi space agency training program ready for liftoff

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Uganda, South Sudanese leaders hold talks

Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Saudi ready to broker peace in Ukraine

Saudi FM Prince Faisal affirmed the Kingdom’s support for all

Saudi, Iraq ink deal to link power grids

Saudi Arabia and Iraq has signed a memorandum of understanding